1 Dec 2007

Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (7.10) on the SH8

I was positively surprised by Windows Vista, which I haven't tried before, but a computer is only usable if it is capable of running Linux. I considered OpenSuse and Ubuntu since I used both in the past, however I eventually chose Ubuntu, because of its massive support by the community (ubuntuforums!). Furthermore I was keen on testing the new Ubuntu release ;-)
I did the installation via an external CD drive, however a network boot/install is also possible. The install process itself didn't make any problems. Even the screen resolution was automatically set to 1024x600.

What worked out of the box:
  • - Synaptic touchpad
  • - 1024x600 screen resolution
  • - brightness, scroll and mouse butoons on the right hand side of the screen
  • - pointer on the left hand side of the screen
  • - USB 2.0
  • - SD card slot
  • - soundcard
  • - ...
What I could fix:
  • - WLAN (see guide above)
What I'm currently struggling with:
  • - touch screen (USB Penmount)
So far untested:
  • - Bluetooth
  • - CF card slot
  • - external display
  • - webcam
  • - microphone

5 comments:

Gantō said...

The webcam works for me with ucview (http://unicap-imaging.org/using_repository.htm). You might have to press Fn+F5 twice (to turn the camera off and then on) if you get an error. However, I've noticed that my wireless connection stops whenever I turn off the webcam and I need to switch wireless off and then on using the switch before it works again.

Anonymous said...

Gents,

any idea how to activate the wireless LAN Card?

What about touchscreen calibration?

I did boot Kubuntu 8.04 from USB Flashdisk, but I need to have the wireless and touchscreen.

rgds,
a.a

Gantō said...

Wireless worked for me right away in Ubuntu 8.04.

Anonymous said...

Good to hear wireless works out of the box in Ubuntu 8.04. I have trouble with WPA2 on the SH8 - have you tried WPA encryption as well?

Gantō said...

I have. My network at home uses WPA2, but I don't remember doing anything special to get it to work.